2.14.2005

Valentine's Day

So, tis another year, and another February 14th, and everywhere around the world (or at least, those that celebrate it), people will be celebrating the holiday of Valentine's Day.

I want to let you in on a secret.

I hate Valentine's Day. In fact, I've always hated Valentine's Day, ever since I was a child. And I will tell you why.

As a kid, Valentine's Day consisted of buying a bunch of cheesey cards from the super market and being forced to give one to everybody in the class. Whether you liked them or not. It didn't matter how cool Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse were, or for that matter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, every single freakin' card had a stupid saying on it that made you cringe that you had to find one to give to that one slimey kid who picked his nose in the back of the class. You also got those nasty candies that said little things on them like "I Luv U" and "be mine" that tasted like sugared saw dust.

Why did I hate it? Because it was a superficial holiday! I didn't want these people to be my valentines, and for those who I really actually did like, I didn't have the guts to go up to them and actually give them a real valentine. So you were stuck with the cheesey store bought ones. I mean, you got one from everybody, how could everybody in the class be your Valentine? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole holiday? I mean, you couldn't hurt anybody's feelings, could you?

Truthfully, it seems like some kind of underground agenda for the Gay Rights Movement. I had both Girls and Boys give me valentines. I gave both girls and boys valentines. And Boys giving each other valentines. And girls giving each other valentines. It doesn't matter what your sexuality is, this is a Bisexual Holiday! GAAAHHH!!! It's getting engrained into the minds of Children!

I'm sure I'll change my mind when I finally meet the guy who has it in him to sweep me off my feet (I am not sure if this can be accomplished however, I'm a pretty stubborn troop) and maybe one day I'll look forward to Valentine's Day. But until then, I'll leave this day for the Card and Candy Makers to get their kicks out of. As well as the love-sick types.

Or maybe I'm just a born anti-romantic. I never got the whole 'Love' thing.

No comments: