1.04.2006

Home is on the Horizon

Well, I can't exactly give dates on here, but its getting to be that time again. Between watching AFN and getting up to date on the news back home, reading the tabloids so I'm up to date on the latest celebrity gossip (one reason being out of the country is nice!) and getting all of my crap mailed off, I'm finally on the verge of coming home.

This deployment has definitely been full of its ups and downs. For starters, I met some people I'm priveleged to have known and I'll never forget. I've been to parts of the world I never thought I would ever see. And I got a history lesson in person. Big Duke, the DANCON, doing the Schutzenschnur, seeing Greece, little things like that I will always remember. I picked up a few new hobbies, learned a few things on the side, and learned some things about myself and people in general that I would never have learned if I hadn't stepped away from the shelter of my family and just got up and did this. For that, I'm thankful that I came on this deployment. I don't regret coming here, and overall I've enjoyed my experiences here, though I wish certain circumstances were a bit different.

The let down of this whole deployment has been the army in general. I came here seeking a few things in regards to my personal development with my career in the army and I didn't get that like I wanted to until the last month of my deployment. I've learned a lot, but I didn't accomplish what I had expected to accomplish. If I were to do it over again, I would, in a heart beat. But hindsight is 20/20 like they say.

I just found out my former unit is in Kuwait, preparing to go into Iraq. A part of me wishes I was still with them. But now is the time to move on. Right now, I need to look back and learn from this experience, and look ahead and see where I can take myself in future missions. Or if the army is even for me.

I mentioned that I was on a Blog Hiatus, and then I started posting anyway. Well, now its for real. I might post thoughts and comments in general, but military matters are one of the untouchable topics until I get back at home.

In the mean time, see you all later.

No comments: