3.05.2008

TV Shows and Anime

There is a plethero of TV shows I never watched before I saw them on DVD. And once I watch a TV show on DVD, I seem to get hooked.

I may have mentioned this dilemma in the past, my being hooked on various TV Shows.

You see, it all started with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Buffy led to Angel.
I got hooked on Sliders, though they've only released three seasons and the show unfortunately went down hill after that.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the new series that started in 2003, I've been collecting since late 2004, never watched in on TV, because its painful to watch on TV
There's Smallville, which has jumped the shark about a half dozen times.
Lost, hopelessly addictive.
Heroes, which echoes Lost on addictiveness.
Avatar the Last Airbender, which is faux anime and was the one excuse I went with in my usual quest of saying 'I hate anime'.
Battlestar Galactica, which Season 3 comes out on DVD in two short weeks.
Countless kiddie shows I haven't seen since I was in third grade and produced by both Disney and Warner Bros.
And now, apparently, Fullmetal Alchemist.

The problem with Fullmetal Alchemist is this is 100% Anime, and carries all of the annoying traits that make me loathe Anime so much. They've got the freeze frame action shots, the mouths that go randomly up and down and don't sync to the words, characters suddenly chibifying when they go into states of hyperactivity, the horrible voice acting of little girls that are obviously played by adult women pretending to be little girls (and those gratingly annoying 'little girl' laughs), and the horrible voice acting in general. See, I hate anime, I love Avatar because it pretends to be Anime without actually being Anime for the above reasons (well, it does chibify it's characters when they freak out).

But then I watched Fullmetal Alchemist. I endured the things I hate about Anime to watch an episode that included a four year old girl who was the obvious Mary-sue character with the gratingly annoying laugh that everyone is supposed to go 'ah, how cute' and I'm thinking 'die, die!'.

Well, low and behold, they pull a twist and kill her. It is so lovingly twisted that I suddenly realized, 'you know, despite the horrible voice acting and the little girls you want to slap, this is a pretty cool show!'

So I shopped around, found the cheapest deal on the next disc, and bought it.

If I get hooked on one more freakin' TV series that I have to buy on DVD, I might as well file for bankruptcy. Well, either that or find a job.

What the heck, Knox is only a couple of months away :)

No comments: