5.04.2008

Bumper Stickers

I have discovered something I absolutely loathe.

People who have bumper stickers on their car that you have to tailgate to read. It's annoying. Especially when you're on the freeway. If people hate tailgaters, they would be wise to not have microscoping lettering on their bumpers that encourage people to read them.

So as I was driving today, I ran across somebody who had some bumper stickers on their car and I noticed a few things about them that really annoyed me.

One is the rainbow sticker. Why is it that whenever you see a rainbow it is immediately attributed to LGBT groups? It supposedly means diversity, at least it did when they first came out with it, but there is more to diversity then who you prefer to have sex with. And even if you are in support of LGBT groups, if you have a rainbow sticker on your car, people will think you are gay. So the only people who can really get about using Rainbows are those who are Gay, or those that don't care.

I'm sorry, no offense to gay people, but a rainbow is a universal symbol and its annoying that its come to a point where it means one thing.

Well, there was the other sticker where it said "another family for Peace", thanks for the info.

And of course, the liberal slogan of attributing the phrase 'Dissent is the Highest Form of Patriotism' to Thomas Jefferson, which was on this same vehicle.

They must be liberal.

Ok, this saying is just stupid. Though Jefferson has attributed the need for resistence to government from time to time, as 'quoted'** here:
"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then."

You know, I would agree with this quote. However, for some reason, I don't think this means dissent being the highest form of patriotism. For one, that doesn't make any sense. There are many greater forms of patriotism then dissenting, and I don't think that Jefferson would say this being the highest form. I've heard liberals use this as their battle cry in support of the war against the war on terror.

But I thought the urban legend that this saying belongs to Jefferson was done by now. When people still use it and put it on their cars, it makes them look like morons.

I don't think I want to make political statements with my car. At least, if I were to make a political statement, I would make sure it is at least accurate.

**I don't know if this is really a Jefferson quote or not. I surfed the internet, found it attributed to him, and think it is a quote that makes more sense then the other. And since the internet is not always the most reliable source of information, this quote comes with this disclaimer.

No comments: